10.09.2018

Grandma Wirthlin

My sweet Grandma Wirthlin passed away on Sunday evening. We love her and will miss her so much!
 
Growing up, I loved visiting my Grandma Wirthlin in Utah. When we stayed at her house, she always made us homemade waffles served with canned peaches from her peach trees for breakfast. She took us on walks to visit all of her neighbors and up to Kaysville to visit cousins. She always let us watch whatever movie we wanted from her collection and I especially remember watching The Little Rascals on repeat! She always had her camera with her and took pictures to put in her volumes upon volumes of journals. She never forgot my birthday (Or Spencer’s or my kids’!) and she was consistent at sending a surprisingly large amount of cash for an elementary school aged kid!
She used to always come to Arizona to visit us in January for my dad’s birthday. When I was in 7th grade, my brother and I got electric scooters for Christmas. When she came for her January visit, my dad thought it was a good idea for his 70-plus-year-old mother to try it out! We watched in horror as she zoomed away, was unable to stop, and fell hard on the sidewalk! We are lucky that she didn’t die that day!
I was able to see my grandma a lot more when I moved to Utah for college. Whenever I visited her, I looked through her journals as she updated me on all of our family, all of her neighbors, and all of the current events. She held my hand and said over and over, “I hope you know how much I love you” and “I sure do love ya!” She always slipped me some cash in my hand on the way out the door.
My parents purchased her home this month and I am grateful that my kids will have similar childhood memories as mine in that same cute brick home on Sunnybrook Way. Because of her, I want to be more generous with my words, with my money, and with my love and I want to teach my kids to do the same.







Love this one! haha Our selfie outtake ;)


She made the best Au Gratin potatoes!

She always got stuck in the couch and anytime we tried to help her adjust she said she was fine and comfortable! 


I think my dad got his love of America and interest in politics from Grandma Wirthlin. My dad has a weird family 4th of July tradition where he always takes a ridiculous patriotic video with the American flag and sends it to us every year. He really outdid himself in 2017 by recruiting cute Grandma!!! She was such a good sport!
My grandma was a dedicated journal keeper. She wrote and pasted newspaper clippings, pictures of her family, and letters she received in her volumes and volumes of journals. She would have made an amazing blogger and I'd like to think that I got my blogging hobby from her :)

No comments:

Post a Comment