6.29.2016

What's Up Wednesday

Fullsizeoutput 10f31
Today, I’m linking up with ShayShaefer and Mel for What’s Up Wednesday!
What we're eating this week: 
We added this Hawaiian grilled chicken with coconut rice to our regular meal rotation and LOVE IT! We also added these Everything We Love Cookies as recommended by hungryrunnergirl to our regular cookie rotation as well ;) (It has coconut, chocolate chips, oatmeal, and cornflakes in them which sounds a little strange but they are amazing!)
What I'm reminiscing about:
Two things:
One, Disney World! We got back from the happiest place on earth last month and had such a magical time! I can't believe it's over, and I'm already planning our next Disney trip (that sadly won't be for a very long time! Whaaaaaahh!!!) I blogged about our Disney trip -----> here.
IMG 2604
Two, moving to Iowa! We hit our two-year Iowa anniversary at the beginning of this month. Since we've been married, we have officially lived in Davenport, Iowa longer than we lived in Utah or Alabama. I had very low expectations moving here and I am happy to report that Iowa has been very good to us :) Here is a picture of David that I posted our first week in Iowa in June 2014:

IMG 3479
And look how big he is now! (wearing Jack's church shoes out to run errands! haha):
IMG 3414
He's the age that Jack was when we moved to Iowa. I can't believe that!
What I'm loving:
  • Gel nails! Back in December, I bought a LED lamp on major clearance and I have loved having painted fingernails for the last few months (I can't stand painting my nails with regular polish because it chips within a day!) I just got this new Heirloom Lilac color and I love it :)
IMG 3311
  • Snapchat! It took me about 6 months to figure out how it works (which made me feel really old! ha!) but it might just be my new favorite form of social media. Add me ;)
IMG 3470
  • this meme - so true! haha
IMG 3467
  • Corn in Iowa - it's everywhere and I love it ;) This cornfield is right across the street from our church and I think it's beautiful.
IMG 3463
What we've been up to
We have had quite the summer routine this month! On Mondays, we went to the splash pad/children's garden at the Botanical Gardens. On Tuesdays, we went swimming at a friends house. On Wednesdays, we went to the park or story time at the library. On Thursdays, Jack and David played at the childwatch at the gym while I worked, and on Fridays, Jack and David chose an activity (it was usually our local aquatic center or bowling)
What I'm excited about:
I'm excited that I'll be in the mountains later in July!
What I'm dreading:
The drive to get to the mountains :) We live so dang far away from everywhere that we want to visit! haha
What I'm working on:
Cutting down screen time! My kids are half way through a four week media fast that I forced on them ;) I had been noticing the last few months that they were always on their worst behavior before, during, or after watching TV or playing the Ipad - they fought over the Ipad or what shows to watch on TV and they were always whining and begging me for more screen time. (And to be honest, I would rather not disclose how much screen time I let them have in a day ;) So with a little encouragement from my friend, Elizabeth, I decided to cut them from it completely for a bit since I'm not in survival mode right now (they are at pretty easy ages where they will play with each other and entertain themselves for the most part and I don't have much going on this month). It's surprisingly going way better than I thought it would! They both stopped asking for screen time about a week ago, and they play together more, they use their imaginations more, they fight less, and they whine less. In a couple of weeks, I'm going to add screen time back but have a lot more structure around it.
No screens means our house is a lot more messy though! haha

IMG 3476
Jack's been spending a lot more time reading on his Leap Frog
IMG 3363
What I'm watching/reading:
I made my kids quit watching TV cold turkey but not me! haha! We are finishing up the last season of The Office (we have never seen this season because we quit watching it when it was airing after Michael Scott left) and we also started watching Fixer Upper! We love it!
IMG 3482
I read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for book club this month and The Girl on the Train. They are both New York Times Bestsellers but completely different genres but I liked them both a lot! I read The Girl on the Train in two days! I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!
 IMG 3481
 IMG 3478

What I've been listening to:
I just discovered that there is a second season of Serial! Yay! I love this podcast!
 IMG 3472
What I'm wearing: 
Usually shorts and a t-shirt :)
What I'm doing this weekend: 
Very low key 4th of July celebrating :)
What I'm looking forward to next month:
A quick trip to Nauvoo, IL, a longer trip to Utah, and my third time running the Bix 7!
 photo WUWquestions_zpszasaseyl.jpg

1 comment: