3.02.2011

Asian Annie

I am currently taking a class on bilingual education. The professor and I don’t exactly share the same views on many issues. As a result, I tend to comment/argue too often in class or completely tune him out as to avoid further comments/arguments. A few weeks ago, my professor asked me to stay after class. He informed me that he didn’t like my attitude and that it needed to change. I felt like I was in junior high again. So I have painfully tried extra hard these past couple of weeks to not comment/argue too much and to pay attention. I gave a presentation last night and I thought it went well. I even kept my opinions to a minimum.

But my professor stopped me after class again. What could I have possibly done this time?!? He told me that I did a good job on my presentation but asked me if I could do another presentation. "You bring an extra perspective to this class.” Meaning that I constantly oppose you and assist you in playing your devil’s advocate?  He continued, “You see, you have your mother from one culture and your father from another. I would love you to tell your experience growing up in this kind of environment.” Wait, what the random? What are you talking about?... Oh, oh, I get it.

“Actually professor, I am not Asian. Sorry.” 
(See further explanation of my non-Asianness here)

A very embarrassed professor excused me from class.

And I went home without an extra-credit opportunity because I wasn’t half-Asian. 

Dang it. I should have faked it.

2 comments:

  1. Haha that's too funny!! I miss my Asian friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHA oh annie! that is hilarious!!!:) i am crying I am laughing so hard! man I miss you…did you ever get those recipes? let me know!

    ReplyDelete