6.19.2011

One of those anniversary posts

"All because two practically underage people dated for two months and got engaged...."  
Quote from mormonchildbride.blogspot.com

On November 13 2009, my best friend, Katie, got married. I had just gotten out of a serious relationship but was surprisingly excited to be visiting Arizona for Katie's wedding, single. I was excited and happy for Katie and for my other friends who were married, but I did not envy them. I was happy where I was in life. I felt free and excited for the future. I had a mission in mind, or possibly teaching English abroad again after I graduated. I also was proud of Katie for not falling into the "Mormon stereotype" by dating her husband for a frighteningly short period of time. I mean how do you know they're the one if you have known them for less than a year, or have dated them for only a few months?! I even remember talking to her mom at her reception and saying something to the effect of, "Aren't you so glad that Katie dated Aaron for over a year? She's not one of those crazy girls!"

Little did I know that very very shortly I was going to become one of those girls.

The ones who get married at 20.
The ones who marry boys fresh off their missions, boys with no money and no clue what they want to be when they grow up.
The ones who date those boys for a very very brief period of time.
The ones who decide to get pregnant shortly after marriage and who are still as clueless as ever about their future.

The weekend after Katie got married I started dating Spencer. We were engaged by March, married by June, and pregnant the next February. I will not even disclose when we had the official talk about getting married because that is just plain humiliating. 21 days with Thanksgiving Break apart from each other included in those 21 days. Gag.

Growing up, I vowed that I would never become one of those girls. Too bad, so sad. I'll just eat my words because I'm happy.

Happy 365 days to us! 

My most favorite anniversary post ever can be found here written by my cousin Sue.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your anniversary! But I do have to admit...reading this scares me! I always swear not to be one of "those" girls too....
    Oh, and I'm super glad that you blog stalk just as much as I do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Oh Annie, you are the most wonderful hypocrite I know! Love you! Congrats on one year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. are you really prego?
    if you are, i am so excited for you!!!!!!!!!! if you aren't... well, you should be, you will make some beautiful babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANNIE. You are procreating?(!) CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie, your wedding photos are gorgeous! It seems like just yesterday we were in elementary school together! Time sure does fly, but in regards to your post, I am so happy you followed your heart. Congrats on the next addition to the Hall family!

    ReplyDelete