2.14.2012

My text message engagement story

Happy Valentine's Day! We celebrated by being treated to dinner by a summer pest control sales recruiter. Pretty romantic if you ask me! 
I sure do love my Valentines.
Speaking of romantic, have you heard my engagement story?

------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I couldn't answer I'm with Annie. She doesn't know I am proposing Monday so I can't talk about it on the phone!
I stared at that text for what seemed like forever. I debated whether or not I should tell Spencer that I received his text meant for his sister, but who was I kidding?! We weren't planning on getting engaged until May and it was only the Tuesday before spring break. We had never looked at rings together before, and there was no way I was going to play it cool for 6 more days.


When I told him, he was crushed and I was screaming and jumping up and down with excitement. He refused to actually propose that night even though it would have saved him a whole lot of trouble later and when he left he told me that blowing the surprise felt worse than it did when he dropped an investigator on his mission. Then I was humbly reminded that I was choosing to marry a guy that fresh off his mission.

The next day was just one disaster after another. It involved a failed attempt to set up a proposal due to me getting off work early, a failed attempt in directing friends over text message to set up a proposal while we were at dinner together, and two failed attempts to find a firepit up two separate canyons while driving with me after dinner. This clearly resulted in absolutely no element of surprise and no conversation whatsoever.

"How about First Dam?" I offered. So we drove in awkward, silent anticipation to First Dam which involved a police car flashing his spotlight at us, Spencer dropping my ring that landed one inch away from the end of the dock, and a speechless, "I love you will you marry me?!" and "Just so you know this was like my Plan F!" and "I would have thrown up if that ring dropped in the water!"

And for a girl who hates all most things cheesy, that terribly executed proposal couldn't have been more perfect.



2 comments:

  1. Hahahahhahaa I love it. Sounds a lot like mine and Ben's proposal story...in the car...in the Bed Bath and Beyond parking lot. :D (Of course, this was mere hours after we decided to move our wedding up to two weeks away from that day...heh heh...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I love that whole story. The text message, and mission comparison, especially.

    ReplyDelete