2.29.2012

A "my husband is the best and it's his birthday" post

The first time I met Spencer was when we gave talks together in Sacrament meeting. Cute, right? We sat next to each other and I tried to make conversation before the meeting started. He wasn't very friendly. I asked him all those small talk-y questions like where he was from, what his major was, and where he went on his mission, but he gave me short answers and did not ask me one question in return. Somewhere in my questioning, I found out that he was a thrower on the track team at Utah State and then I got it - he was one of those guys. He was tall, dark, handsome, and a complete jock who thought he is was the center of the universe. We never spoke again for another two months. He later defended himself by saying that he was still weird from his mission and that he was too busy checking out all of the girls in the congregation.  

When I finally got to know Spencer though, I realized that my first impression of him could not have been more off. It turns out that there is way more nerd in him than jock. Way more. Here are a few recent examples:

1. Our weekday evenings typically consist of quality time on the couch together. As I blog stalk, Spencer watches the dumbest shows ever - MythBusters, Man vs. Wild, Gold Rush, you name itshows that truly cannot hold my attention for more than 30 seconds. But it gets worse... he actually TVOs America's Funniest Home Videos. Unfortunately, I am not even kidding you.

His favorite show of all is Dual Survival. My mom calls the show Dumb and Dumber. That man has watched each episode at least five times over and I just don't get it. Why would you ever want to cut your own arm open and then have someone set it on fire!? And an even more important question, who would want to watch it?! They do other dumb things, too, and it's just so... dumb.

Spencer basically worships Cody Lundin, one of the guys on the show. Once, when he was on Cody's website, he excitedly explained to me that for just $1,970, he could go survive in Northern Arizona's wilderness with Cody for a week! No shelter! No sleeping bags! No food! No water! All for just $1,970!

2. Spencer once told me that he wished he had more clothes like my dad... enough said.

3. For his birthday this year, he wanted a moccasin kit. A moccasin kit! Apparently he had one when he was a little kid in scouts and loved them. Luckily, the only moccasin kit I found online were those same scout moccasin kits and they didn't have his size. Real bummer. So instead, I went a little less nerdy I think? and got him this, which is actually an accessory that my dad sports on most evenings. Who knew it could be for more than just camping?

4. To celebrate his birthday yesterday, we played racquetball and watched our new favorite show, Shark Tank. It must not be a very cool show because it airs on Friday nights and even though it's on it's third season, the first season isn't even out on DVD yet. But I even love it, and just stay in denial that we are losers when Spencer pulls out his calculator as we watch.


So on a scale from nerdy to jock, I would say Spencer is right in the middle, and that's just the way I like it!



1 comment:

  1. Awe! you guys are too cute! and your sweet little baby is adorable!

    ReplyDelete