6.26.2015

Summertime in Utah

After a week in Arizona, we got on another plane and flew to Provo. I thought it would be an easy flight because it was so short but it ended up being the worst! David was awful and we had to climb stairs to get both on and off the plane which was difficult because I am a cheapskate and didn't want to pay to check our luggage or pay to bring a small carry-on. I somehow managed to get Jack, David, and everything we brought with us on and off the plane by myself. #iloveandhatealligiant #firstworldproblems

We stayed with my grandparents for the first two days and had such a good time! (Jack's idea of a good time is catching snails, doing chores for Grandma Annie, and swimming in their pool :)
IMG 0131
 IMG 0130
 IMG 0128
From my Instagram post:
 IMG 0087
 IMG 0125
 IMG 0122
Papa made Jack a sign for his snail catching record :)
 IMG 0121
I snuck a picture of my grandma doing what she does best #hashtagsandinstagramarewhatshedoesbest ;)
IMG 0119
We weren't able to make it to Logan this trip but my grandparents thankfully had my very favorite Praline Pecan Aggie Ice Cream in their freezer.
 IMG 0120
 IMG 0129
Spencer made it to Utah on Saturday afternoon and the Sheets came over for dinner that night!
 IMG 0123
 IMG 0124 
I'm all about trendy Utah desserts so I had to try Swig! My review - the Dirty Diet Coke BLEW MY MIND and the sugar cookies were reeeeally good! (My favorite sugar cookies are still the ones from Old Towne Bakery here in the Quad Cities though) Also, I don't get the soda and sugar cookie combo? I want milk with my cookies and popcorn with my soda!
 IMG 0126
 IMG 0127
On Sunday, we headed up to Eden, Utah for a family reunion with Spencer's family. We all stayed in an 8 bedroom cabin had a blast! We boated, played on the beach, hiked, and hung out at the cabin. My mother-in-law even had cute little pinterest crafts and activities for the kids to do every day! #iwasobviouslynotraisedbyher ;)
We had an amazing view from the kitchen and living room!
 IMG 0118
 IMG 0113
Jack got dumped off the tube the first ride of the season with his cousin. It was hilariously tragic! He was really brave and went again though.
 IMG 0116
David loved boating and waved to us his entire tube ride :)
 IMG 0115
I love this boy and his pink life jacket :)
 IMG 0117
 IMG 0114
Lake photo dump:
 IMG 0108
 IMG 0107
 IMG 0106
 IMG 0105
 IMG 0104
 IMG 0103
 IMG 0102
Jack and David LOVED playing with their cousins! I wish we lived closer so that they could play with them more!
 IMG 0101
David and Eliza were all about the kissing! haha I can't wait to use these pictures as blackmail one day :)
 IMG 0112
 IMG 0111
We bought hiking backpacks when we lived in Alabama right before we found out that we were moving to flat Iowa. We were glad that we could put them to use! We've missed the mountains!
 IMG 0110
 IMG 0109
After five days in Eden, we headed back to Kaysville and visited my sweet Grandma Wirthlin and hung out with a lot of my cousins and their kids for a few hours.
 IMG 0100
 IMG 0097
On Friday, we left Jack and David with my in-laws for the night for our five year anniversary. They spoiled our kids with pizza, the movie theaters, and a splash pad outing, and we went on our first ever 24-hour date! We rented mountain bikes in Park City, took the gondola up the mountain and then biked down (and got really beat up in the process - we are definitely rookies!) It was so fun and so hard and so beautiful!
 IMG 0096
 IMG 0095
We stopped for giant burgers for lunch then went back up the mountain again.
 IMG 0093
 IMG 0094
After a long day of mountain biking, we cleaned up at the hotel and then went out for sushi and Jurassic World.
 IMG 0092
We've never had a kidless night together since Jack was born and it was SO NICE sleeping in! (I only slept until 8:45 though - my kids ruined me!)
We stopped at Kneaders to try the french toast for breakfast the next morning (which was amazing and free for Spencer for Father's Day!), wandered around the outlet stores, and then headed back to Kaysville to start our 19 hour drive home.
The drive home was just about has horrible as it sounds. David is not into TV yet and struggles playing with apps so he was crying and fussing most of the time. We also had to stop for a huge David blowout and then a separate throwing up incident. :( Driving through the night definitely helped and giving them presents to unwrap along the way also helped. (My mother-in-law and I stalked up on activities and dollar store toys and wrapped them so Jack and David had a new toy to unwrap every hour or so - I am definitely going to do this everytime we have a long drive now!)
The toys that lasted the longest were these windmills, but unfortunately they were almost as annoying as the crying because Jack and David wanted the windows rolled down on the freeway so that they would spin easily!
 IMG 0090
 IMG 0091
Don't let the picture fool you - the guns lasted 5 minutes and then the crying started again.
 IMG 0089
The final stretch!!! Carsick, mad, bored, and picking his nose!
 IMG 0088
We had such a great time in Utah! I really wish I could plunk Iowa right between Utah and Arizona :) Now back to the grind and a much needed financial and food diet ;)

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you guys had such a fun trip! My absolute lifesaver on trips is blowing up a few balloons. That was the toy that lasted the longest on our drive to Utah last year. I need to start thinking about toys and games for our trip this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Balloons were our second biggest hit! I hated those also because they wanted me to blow them up and then let go before I tied them and watch them fly all over the car as the balloons deflated and it made me SO DIZZY on top of being carsick already! haha I'm sad we didn't cross paths in Utah! One day!

    ReplyDelete