10.29.2013

My Happy Place

We are a week or two away from knowing where we will be moving in May and all of the possible locations are nowhere near where I expected to live in my lifetime. (Some locations I had never even heard of). That unknown, coupled with other crazy things that happen in my mind on a regular basis are throwing me for a loop. A couple of days ago, Spencer suggested that I listen to piano music on Pandora, lay on the couch, close my eyes, and go to a happy place in my mind, so that's exactly what I did.

I closed my eyes completely expecting to go to the beach but surprisingly, I found myself running South on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail that overlooks Cache Valley in Logan, UT. My mind was clear, I was running fast, and I felt strong, fearless, and calm. As I effortlessly ran up and down the windy path, my eyes were fixed on the breathtaking view of Cache Valley and on my two favorite and personally significant landmarks - Old Main and the Logan Temple.  I looked beyond Old Main and the Logan Temple and as I gazed upon the majestic Wellsville Mountains, I thought of someone else who once viewed those exact same mountains - my ancestor, Peter Maughan, who was called by Brigham Young to settle Cache Valley.

Peter Maughan was born in England and after he joined the church he moved to America; first to Ohio, then Illinois, then Wisconsin, then Salt Lake City, then Tooele and finally to Cache Valley. I wondered when he reached Cache Valley and viewed the beautiful but desolate valley if he thought, "This is the place? This is my final destination?" Was there more fear or relief in his heart? Did he know how he was going to feed his family, build shelter, take care of his people, establish a church and deal with the very harsh winters ahead? Did he ever miss England or feel guilt for leaving behind his first wife who he had just buried two months before he left with his children for America?

I began "thinking" to my faithful, courageous, and most likely fearful grandfather who just reached the valley. Peter! There is happiness ahead! A temple will be built! A university will be established! Your religion will flourish here! Many people will settle here! In fact, one day, a cute little brick house with orange carpeted kitchen floors will stand at the mouth of Logan Canyon. My great-grandparents will live there, my mom will live there, and I will eventually live there. I will live there when I meet my husband and when we live together as newlyweds and when we bring our sweet first born son into the world. We will pray there and worry there and laugh there and rejoice together there, all because of your faith and courage. You will love Cache Valley and so will your posterity! 

As I continued to run, I wondered what Peter Maughan would "think" to me today. I am certain he would want me to know that there is happiness ahead, no matter where God wants us.
Cachevalley zps0ae987e4

6 comments:

  1. Really though... This is a very happy place! It misses you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This spoke to me, Annie! I think we're soul sisters. You will do amazing wherever you go! I'll just keep missing you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good. I maybe teared up a little (I'm tired, ok?). I've so been there literally and more figuratively currently. Either way, I get anxiety about big changes and that message of "happiness ahead" is exactly what I needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written Annie. I was in your shoes one year ago, wondering where we would end up. I prayed and prayed and ended up in the last place I thought of. I was tempted to have a bad attitude, but as I have lived in the moment and been positive, I can't imagine my family not living and growing up here. It is amazing what He has in store for us and how He knows us better than we know ourselves. You will grow to love and thrive in the area you guys go to! I can't wait to hear where that place is. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What! Annie, we are totally related. I am a Peter Maughan descendant too. Every time I drive into Cache Valley and see MY two favorite landmarks I think of him. It all makes sense now, our mutual love of Cache Valley is genetic.

    ReplyDelete