5.09.2012

Why I love Logan: Reason 7


      Every summer since I can remember, I visited my Great Grandma Libbie Maughan in Logan. Visiting Grandma Libbie was always a treat. We drove up 400 North past the USU campus and pulled into the driveway of her small red brick house. My cute Grandma Libbie, without fail, would be sitting in her white chair in the driveway, waiting for us to arrive. We would wear her out with all of our Logan traditions: picking up Papa at the Alumni House, stopping at Fredrico’s for pizza, floating toy boats down the creek at Central Park, and cooling off with lemon custard Aggie ice cream. When it was time to leave, grandma would give me a big hug and tell me that she loved me. She would stand by our car and watch and wave to us until we turned the corner. I would watch her until she was out of sight. That image was always special to me because I knew that eventually, that would be my last image of my her. She died my sophomore year of high school. 
      For the past three years, I have lived in that same red brick house that I drove to every summer, my dear Grandma Libbie’s home. I lived there when I first met Spencer and when we dated and when we got engaged. We lived there together as newlyweds and when we brought our sweet baby Jack home from the hospital. We laughed there and stressed there and cried there and prayed there and worked there and loved there and rejoiced there and grew together there. 
     We moved today. When we pulled out of the driveway, Grandma Libbie was not there to watch and wave to us as we turned the corner like before, but I could feel her love. I said a prayer of gratitude for our beautiful first home, for Grandma Libbie, for Logan, and for our wonderful beginnings. 
     Now on to the next chapter... 


Reason #7 why I love Logan: Grandma Libbie's home

2 comments: