12.26.2017

Christmas weekend

We had a great Christmas weekend! This was the second Christmas that we haven't been on the road visiting family (the last time was in 2013 right before David was born) and while we missed being with family during the holidays, we were grateful to be home this year creating our own traditions with our little family.
------------------------
Jack had a half day on Friday and we went straight to the zoo with friends! We finally did the dinosaurs at the desert exhibit and of course, they loved it!
Fullsizeoutput 10299
Ran into Santa!
Fullsizeoutput 102b8
Once Spencer got home from work, we drove up to Scottsdale to see the Winter Wonderland lights display. Between that and Christmas on Comstock, we feel like we got quite the Christmas lights experience this year! They've both been featured on the show the Great Christmas Light Fight.
We roasted marshmallows, played in fake snow and bubbles, and went back to see the Frozen display in their backyard!
Fullsizeoutput 102c6
 Fullsizeoutput 102c1
 Fullsizeoutput 102bf
 Fullsizeoutput 102be
 On the drive home, Jack spotted the craziest thing in the sky! We couldn't decide if it was Santa, a UFO, or something else! We later found out it was the SpaceX rocket that was launched in California! Fullsizeoutput 102d4
On Saturday we hiked the first part of Flat Iron with our kids and friends. Jack and Kate are happy hikers but David is not a huge fan - poor Spencer packed him the entire way! He better start liking hiking soon because he's almost four and getting way too big for the hiking backpack!
Fullsizeoutput 10345
IMG 9039
Fullsizeoutput 102f7
Jack is in his element when we hike! He loves it so much and is always up ahead!
Fullsizeoutput 102f1
Fullsizeoutput 102f0
We saw Santa out on the trail!
Fullsizeoutput 10332
Jenny married my childhood neighbor and Jenny and I have been Voxer friends for years. We both moved to Arizona this summer and it's been so fun to finally be "real life" friends :)
Fullsizeoutput 10343
Fullsizeoutput 1032d
Fullsizeoutput 1031f
When Spencer and I were dating, he came to visit me in Arizona for New Years in 2010. We hiked Flat Iron together on January 1, 2010 :)
IMG 9041
Here we are again almost 8 years later :)
Fullsizeoutput 10340
After our hike, we got Gecko Grill takeout for dinner. Some days I still can't believe that after 10 years of long distance cravings, I now live only three miles away from my favorite meal in the entire world. #shrimpmangoquesadillas #anytimeiwant
Fullsizeoutput 1034d
On Christmas Eve, we went to church and then the Christmas Eve traditions commenced! David had a fever on and off but still managed to have a good day.
IMG 9054
Fullsizeoutput 1025f
We each made a Christmas painting and decorated gingerbread houses while Kate was napping.
Fullsizeoutput 1035a
David's painting: (He said it was our elf on the shelf that could transform into a Christmas rocket ;)
IMG 9064
Jack's cute nativity:
Fullsizeoutput 10284
My Santa :)
IMG 9057
And Spencer's Christmas desert landscape :)
Fullsizeoutput 10285
Fullsizeoutput 1035f
Christmas Eve biking/walking
Fullsizeoutput 10363
We had appetizers for dinner, then opened our Christmas ornaments and Christmas jammies.
Kate didn't like her peas! haha
Fullsizeoutput 10361
Fullsizeoutput 10366
My favorite Christmas tradition growing up was always our Christmas Eve dance party in our new Christmas pajamas! I'm glad my family likes it as much as I do :) When I married Spencer, he wasn't a huge fan of dancing but we've rubbed off on him! hahaha
After dancing, we read the nativity and a Christmas book then headed to bed. (We usually listen to a recording of my great grandpa telling the story of when he was a little boy and got a pony for Christmas but I couldn't find it this year! Whaaaaa!!!!)
---------------------------------
Jack woke up on Christmas morning at 4:45 am and had to wait patiently until 7 when Kate and David woke up. Santa delivered with a scooter for David and a surprise for Jack (he got a rock polisher). Kate got a few baby toys but she liked eating the wrapping paper the best! haha We got the kids a trampoline too! It was fun to get the kids something that we didn't have to fit in a suitcase and something that they could enjoy right away because the weather is so nice!
Fullsizeoutput 10377
Fullsizeoutput 1037d
Fullsizeoutput 10383
Fullsizeoutput 10387
Fullsizeoutput 1037e
We had our traditional orange rolls for Christmas breakfast and hung out the rest of the day. Poor David played too hard and his fever caught up with him again :(
Fullsizeoutput 10385
I took too many pictures of Kate today... I just love her- toes, teeth, snot and all :)
Fullsizeoutput 10388
Fullsizeoutput 1038a
Fullsizeoutput 1038d
Fullsizeoutput 1038f
This picture kills me! haha
Fullsizeoutput 10393
My favorite gifts were my rings with my babies names on them :)
Fullsizeoutput 10391
I checked the weather in Davenport and I wasn't mad that we weren't there ;)
Fullsizeoutput 10288
Spencer stayed home with napping David while Kate, Jack and I went on a bike ride on the canal and stopped at a park. (One of these days our six-year-old will learn to ride his own bike but today was not that day ;)
Fullsizeoutput 103a2
Fullsizeoutput 1039c
Fullsizeoutput 10398
Fullsizeoutput 1039a
Fullsizeoutput 1039b
Fullsizeoutput 10399
That cotton candy sky!!!!
Fullsizeoutput 103a9
There is something about biking that gives me the biggest adrenaline/endorphin rush and as I was riding, I felt so grateful for this little life I lead and for my Savior who walks with me through it all. God is good!
We ordered pizza for dinner! haha Growing up, we always had an Italian dinner for our Christmas Eve dinner since my dad went on his mission to Italy. I decided that pizza counts for that tradition plus it's Jack and David's favorite food plus I don't have to cook anything on Christmas day! Win, win, win!
Fullsizeoutput 103aa
After the kids went to bed, we watched a movie together then hit the sack! We had a wonderful Christmas and are excited for my family to come visit this week!
Fullsizeoutput 103ad

No comments:

Post a Comment