9.21.2012

"I should have been a Broadway singer"

Ever since I saw Les Miserables' Extended First Look yesterday, I have been listening to the music nonstop! I'm so excited to see it this Christmas!!!

If there was anything that my mom made clear to me growing up, it was that she should have been on Broadway. I was very spoiled growing up in that I was able to attend many Broadway musicals. (Maybe we were too young when my parents first took us? We went to Les Mis for the first time when James and I were really little, and after the show when my mom asked James if he liked it, he replied, "I liked every part but the singing parts!") Sometimes after the shows, my mom would say, "Oh, I should have been on Broadway! I don't need a main part, I just want to be a background singer or dancer. When I'm done raising you, I'm going to be on Broadway!" But most of the time, she would actually sing it. She would make up some tune and sing, "I should have been a Broooooadway singer! I'm going to be a Broooooadway singer!" Some sort of dancing was also involved.

She must have transfered or brainwashed some of this desire onto her offspring, because today when I was scrubbing the toilets while listening to the Les Mis soundtrack I thought of how much I would give to be able to be on Broadway marching to "Do You Hear the People Sing?" from Les Mis or singing "Loathing" from Wicked or dancing to "Seize the Day" from Newsies. Just little background parts, you know!? And then the thought came to me! Mother and daughter realize their potential and run away to NYC to be on Broadway!!! That plot could so be a musical of it's own! And my mom already has the opening song and dance "I Should Have Been A Broadway Singer" down perfectly.

Cleaning the bathroom is a lot more fun while you perform Les Mis for yourself in front of the mirror and daydream of being a Broadway singer. 

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Amen sistah! This is why we're such great friends. Is there room for me on the running away to NYC trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, people who don't know me probably think I'm legit now. Maybe in the next life? After all, what would heaven be without your mother singing and dancing? And yes, Katie, there is definitely a part in our musical for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Alabama Bloggers! Glad to hear from another Southerner!

    ReplyDelete