10.26.2012

Family Visit: Watercolor

Spencer had a healthcare conference in Destin, Florida on Wednesday through Friday, so on Tuesday we packed up and headed to the beach! Our friends' (who we went down with for the conference) parents own a beach home in Watercolor, just outside of Destin, and they were so so nice to let my family come down and stay too! 

We had to drive through redneck country to get there and I was totally in my element. (Not really)
When we got there the storybook cottages, beautiful porches, and perfectly clean neighborhoods looked too perfect to be real. My mom said, "I feel like I'm in the Truman Show!" and sure enough, we later found out that The Truman Show was actually filmed there.
I have grown up visiting southern California beaches, and the beach here had a totally different feel. The water was warmer (even in October!), the weather was perfect (in October!), the waves were calmer, the water was bluer, and the sand was so white and fine that my brother described it as "pitch white and not working!" It was also crazy to me because there were so many trees. I felt like we were staying in a forest cabin, yet the beach was so close. It was the best of both worlds. We rode bikes, went on walks, played on the beach, used my mom to babysit while we went on a date, and body surfed the one day the waves were big enough. We had sooo fun!
My vacation blogging is over now, I promise! This week has been awfully mellow compared to the last one and I have decided that the world would be a better place if Alabama was smooshed between Utah and Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment