12.02.2016

Thanksgiving (Goodbye AZ!)

We got back from a quick trip to Arizona for Thanksgiving and to say goodbye to AZ since my parents moved to Utah last month. We had a blast, as always.

Our flight left at 8 pm on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and it was such a long day for Jack and David! They were ready to go to the airport first thing in the morning and had to wait for such a long time!
IMG 7789
We were still trying to kill an hour before we had to go to the airport once Spencer got home from work so we decided to drive 30 plus minutes in the opposite direction from the airport so Spencer could get his Panda Express fix before we got to Arizona :) A new Panda Express opened up a few towns over from us and Spencer is very very excited about it as it is one of his favorite places to eat ever and we haven't lived by one since we lived in Logan. 
 IMG 7793
 These boys were so excited to board the plane! (Jack insists that this old pink backpack is his travel backpack... I don't get it! haha)
IMG 7798
It is very rare that Spencer ever flies round trip with us and it was such a luxury, especially when they were assigned seats on the opposite side of the aisle from me. I read my book the entire time :)
IMG 7800
We got into Mesa Gateway super late but Jack and David were wired and excited to see everyone!
--------------------
On Wednesday morning, James and Maddie introduced us to Pie Face :)
IMG 7858
IMG 7856
I am going to miss this backyard so much.
IMG 7864
I met friends for bobas Wednesday afternoon, and we stayed for so long that I ordered another boba two hours later! I feel kind of panicky not knowing when I will get my next boba fix! haha #butseriously
IMG 7868
IMG 7875
IMG 7870
After bobas, I went with Katie to see Beautiful the musical! I loved it! It has been such a long time since I have been to a musical and it was so fun to go with my best friend :)
IMG 7877
---------------
Thursday morning run on my parent's running trail.
IMG 7879
I jogged four miles, the longest I have ran in a while. Also, I don't think those calories burned are accurate. #ifonly I am grateful to still be running/trotting this pregnancy! I quit running after my first trimester when I was pregnant with both Jack and David.
IMG 7883
I came back to these guys watching the real Avengers movie. Jack and David were so excited to watch it :) Now whenever David pretends to be the Incredible Hulk, he takes his shirt off like the "real Hulk" does in the movie :)
IMG 7902
Even though it was cold, Jack and David were still entertained by the pool :)
IMG 7909
Cutest skinny dipper ever :)
IMG 7903
This crazy boy even put his head under!
IMG 7905
We had perfect Thanksgiving weather! I was grateful this year to be spending one last holiday in Arizona with these people and for my parents who helped us get there for one last hurrah. (And I was also grateful that I wasn't "the main mom" for Thanksgiving this year! haha It has been five years since we have celebrated Thanksgiving with family!)
IMG 7939
After dinner, we took a walk at the Riparian Preserve. It is so close to my parent's house and I took it for granted when I lived in Arizona! It's beautiful.
IMG 7919
IMG 7924
IMG 7928
My dad caught a gecko and as you can see, Jack was sooooooo excited about it.
IMG 7943
IMG 7946
---------------------------
On Friday morning, we went on a very little hike. David didn't do so great without a hiking backpack!
IMG 7965
IMG 7967
IMG 7981
IMG 7983
The rest of the day I spent cleaning out my junk that I have been storing at my parent's house, visiting with friends from grad school, and hanging out with my aunt and uncle's family from California who were visiting for a wedding this weekend.
Bobas round 3!!!!
IMG 8016
 IMG 8017
Jack and David went on a scorpion hunt with my dad every night. They didn't catch nearly as many as they did back in August, but they still found enough to be very entertained and excited!
IMG 0062
---------------
On Saturday, we celebrated Jack's birthday with my family! Before the celebrations, we had Jamba Juice for breakfast, the only thing I craved during my 1st trimester. (The Quad Cities doesn't have a single smoothie store, so it's been pretty rough! haha There are a lot of local foods that we miss from Arizona and Utah, but we have also really missed living near a Jamba Juice, Einstein Bagels, and Panda express. They didn't have any of those chains in Birmingham either!)
IMG 8020
Jack wanted a "Moana Arizona party" so first, we went to the movies :)
IMG 8021
I love these people!!!
IMG 8025
IMG 8028
Jack wanted to be in charge of the party games after the movie, so he made up all of his birthday games :) It was quite entertaining. With my family, he had everyone's undivided attention (which will not be the case for his birthday party with friends) and he loved every minute of it :) First, he placed all sorts of objects under cups and the person who chose the cup with the scorpion key chain was the winner.
IMG 8029
Then, we played "don't fall in the hot lava" where you had to stay on the squares of the rug.
IMG 8033
And last, we played a couple games of hide-and-go-seek.
IMG 8039
Jack loved his presents. My parents got him some Jurassic World dinosaurs that he has had his eye on for a while now.
IMG 8044
IMG 8040
And just like that, our trip was over :( We left for Iowa at the crack of dawn on Sunday. It's still hard for me to believe that my parents don't live in Arizona anymore. I will miss it so much!
IMG 8048
We were divided on our flight home and David got the ipad for most of the flight. Jack spent the full three hours playing with his new dinosaurs :)
IMG 8056
---------------------------
I think one of the bummers about my parents moving (besides the weather and backyard and food ;) is that my kids probably won't remember much about Arizona. I think I've blogged about every trip we've taken to Arizona since Jack was born so I'm glad I have it all documented and I'm SO GRATEFUL that we were able to take as many trips to Arizona as we did in those five short years. We might not visit Arizona as frequently anymore, but this will NOT my last trip to Arizona. I love it too much to not go back :)

Other AZ trips:
August 2016
December 2015/January 2016
June 2015
January 2015
December 2014
June 2014
more June 2014
July 2013
March 2013
January 2013
March 2012

2 comments:

  1. I have the same feelings about my parents leaving Kansas. I'm so sad that the boys won't really remember going there even though we went all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same feelings about my parents leaving Kansas. I'm so sad that the boys won't really remember going there even though we went all the time.

    ReplyDelete